Poor appreciation of the need for monitoring and evaluation ranks highly among the major causes of project failure. Huge sums of money are put into projects hence the importance of ensuring their successfully implementation. Two aspects that contribute towards ensuring the successful implementation of projects are monitoring and evaluation. Monitoring is the ongoing assessment of a project/program in line with set implementation plans. Evaluation is the systematic, time specific and objective determination of the relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, sustainability and impact of a project/programme which is performed to judge whether a project has reached its goal of delivering what was expected according to its original plan.
This course provides participants with a fundamental basics to monitoring and evaluation. The course is designed for individuals who are new to the field of monitoring and evaluation and/or those who wish to strengthen their existing understanding which has been developed through work-based experience. The course considers important concepts and activities from project inception through to outcome evaluation as it touches on some aspects of project management.
Who Should Attend this Course?
- Government officials
- Senior managers in NGOs
- Project team members
- Project Managers
- Monitoring and evaluation officials
- Policy makers, and regulators working on projects
- Any persons interested in monitoring and evaluation
The course helps participants:
- Understand what is meant by monitoring and evaluation
- Develop an understanding of when and how to use recognized tools and techniques for monitoring and evaluation
- Gain an understanding of a monitoring and evaluation process
- Develop awareness of how to manage monitoring and evaluation stakeholders
- Understand M&E tools, methods and approaches
- Develop skills to design evaluation questions for different types of evaluations
- Understand the link between M&E and project management